Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DAY 11 >> Stage 10 Santo Domingo to Belorado 22.9 km, 24.4 adjusted for climb

Day 11, Stage 10: SANTO DOMINGO TO BELORADO

I decided to leave a little later, because I thought it might be very
cold. Had some of the chocolate cookies I had bought earlier for
breakfast. Left a little after 8 am.

The big news is that I bought a new paper of walking shoes yesterday,
one size bigger, european 43 rather than the 42 I had earlier. That
has solved the problem. This gave my toes more room and they could
land on the road more properly. No more pain! Lessons learned: Our
feet really expand in these long walks. Our toes need room, they were
made to be free.

It was a very simple road today. Good roads, very few rough spots.
From Santo Domingo it was 7 km to the first stop, Granon, a small
town, where I had a cafe con leech and some kind of donuts. Ran into
Paul again and we walked together for a while and remarked on the
sounds around, including frogs from the nearby stream. He mentioned
talking to a young man, who found being alone on the road depressing,
so much so that he would take a taxi rather than keep walking alone.

From Granon, I thought there would be  a coupled more stops where I
could get something to eat. But at each of them (Redecilla del Camino,
4km from Granon,Viloria de la Rioja another 3.5 km, there were cafe/
rests advertised along the way. But they were all closed for the
weekend. People take vacations and weekends seriously here.

I was disappointed that the cafe at Castilldelgado, just before
Viloria de la Rioja, was closed. It is called El Chocolatero and I
would have loved to get a timbre on my credencial with such a name!

I finally got lunch 5 km from Belorado, at Villamayor del Rio, at a
Restaurante Leon, had eggs and ham.

Got to Belorado at 4 pm, got to my hotel Jacobeo and found they had
cancelled my reservation. They were calling me on my cellphone on the
way to confirm, but I was not paying attention to calls on the way. No
big problem, though, as they called a nearby place, Casa Rural
Verdeancho, which is probably better anyway as it is in a quieter
area.

Hope to find mass this evening and hope the priest is as engaging as yesterday.

Tomorrow will be a bit longer 30.3 km, as I will go all the way to
Atapuerca, 6 km more than I had originally intended. It is ok as it
means the walk on Monday to Burgos will be 6 km shorter.

All for now. All the best. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment