Tuesday, June 21, 2011

POSTCRIPT TO DAY 10: Najera to Sto Domingo

POSTSCRIPT TO STAGE 9: NAJERA TO SANTO DOMINGO

Weather: It was very cold yesterday afternoon and evening. After lunch
in Ventosa, there was a cold wind and I had to put on my
raincoat/overcoat until arriving in Santo Domingo. Then in the evening
it really became very cold, maybe around 10 centigrade. I had to put
on several layers, including a woollen sweater. (Today is much
warmer.)

People: Coming out of Najera, I asked someone along the way to take my
photo. Turned out he was Irish, Paul, so we chatted a bit, told him I
was a Jesuit and he said his sons studied at Gonzaga high school in
Dublin. Small world, we chatted a bit more as we met along the way.

Mass in the evening at 8 pm at the Erniita chapel of our Lady was by a
young priest, very young and very good looking! Sorry I can,t send you
a picture immediately. He connected well, beginning the mass by saying
that it was a very cold summer, but he hoped that God,s love and our
love would keep us warm. He also gave an excellent homily on the
Gospel: Jesus asking Peter three times, Do you love me?

He said the mass with immense devotion, even drama, a bit like he was
only recently ordained. Prayed a lot for him for the years to come.
After the mass I went over to thank him for the mass and homily. Told
him I was a priest, he asked if diocesan or religious. I said I was a
Jesuit> He beamed and said, we owe so much to the Society. I asked for
his name and he said "Jesus," then smiled "Jesus Ignacio". We had a
photo together.  I prayed for him on the camino today.

Finally, turns out Santo Domingo is a mid-size town with lots of shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment