Tuesday, June 21, 2011

POSTCRIPT to Day 9: Logrono to Najera

Postscript to Day 9, Stage 8, at Najera. 

I tried to go to the 7 pm mass at Santa Maria Church. It started drizzling on the way and it was good I found a group of ladies who told me there would be no mass this evening. I would have gotten wet for nothing.

I eventually went into a bar and had a beer till the rain let up (one good thing about rain here is that it does not last long).

The reason for this postscript is that I had dinner at Los Parrales, by the river of Najera which is the key thing in the town. What struck me was how much the evening paseo is such a central thing in the life of the town. Couples, whole families were making paseo along the riverbank. Several had an evening drink by Los Parrales, but more simply took walks with their little children. NIce thing to see. Of course, it helps that it is light till 10 pm. 

Other things that strike one from our part of the world.1) I pass through many towns and villages along the way and most of the time there is no one around, quite striking for us where there are always people, 2) A lot of people, young and old, men and women, smoke and the streets are littered with cigarette butts, 3) at the cafe bars where I stop for a drink or snack, the locals stop by for a beer or wine or other alcoholic drink at any time, 9 am, 11 am, 1 pm, etc. 4) Big groups come in around 1 pm and it is clearly a social as well as a drinking (with a little eating) event. 

Finally, on my menu del peregrino at Los Parrales, I ordered much the same thing as at Los Arcos (vegetable first dish, lomo steak for main dish, ice cream for dessert.) Difference is I finished everything here, unlike Los ARcos where I finished barely half. Maybe I was hungrier or their cooking is better or (you always have a choice of either wine or water, not both, for drink) I ordered wine this time! Did not at Los Arcos as I was still going to the 8 pm mass. 

Anyway, took pics of the people taking paseo and of the dishes. 

All the best.

Sent from my iPod

No comments:

Post a Comment